VALUE DRAWING FOR BEGINNING ARTISTS


One of my first purchases as an art teacher were these wooden, geometric forms.  I use them every year.  I like to teach my students precise methods of using their pencils to create smooth marks without smearing then we pull out these forms.  I demonstrate and we cover shadows and shading for each of the basic forms.  Then the students have to combine them and create a composition.


I have extension cords running from all over the room so each group of students has a tray with their own light source.  I've done this type of activity since I first started teaching.  I imagine every art teacher out there has something similar in their drawing classes.


My classes are currently large - 27 or so in each of my beginning classes.  I am fortunate to have a big classroom which can accommodate all these people and have room to store their work and all my supplies.

Comments

Popular Posts